Paramount’s family action-comedy Sonic the Hedgehog 2 raced to an estimated $71 million domestic debut, setting a record for the biggest opening weekend of all-time for a video game adaption in North America. The film also earned $37M across 53 overseas markets over the weekend.
The Sony Pictures / Columbia dark villain origin story Morbius opened atop the box office last weekend with $39 million. This weekend it took the runner-up spot with a -73% decline to $10.2M. That drop was one of the biggest we’ve seen in some time.
Universal’s action thriller Ambulance started below expectations, opening under the $10 million mark with an estimated $8.7M fourth place debut. Most pre-release projections had it in second place with around $12M. Reviews for the Michael Bay action movie were better than usual for the filmmaker, but audiences just did not show up.
Two weekends ago, A24’s Everything Everywhere All at Once opened with $501K on 10 screens. That $51,131 per-screen average was the biggest of 2022 so far. Now, the film went wide and moved up to sixth place with an impressive $6M. This appears to be one of the year’s first indie hits.
Here’s the full list of the top ten films of the week:
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 – $71M – 4,234 theatres
- Morbius – $10.2M (-73%) – 4,268 theatres
- The Lost City – $9.16M (-44%) – 3,797 theatres
- Ambulance – $8.7M – 3,412 theatres
- The Batman – $6.5M (-45%) – 3,254 theatres
- Everything Everywhere All At Once – $6M (+419%) – 1,250 theatres
- Uncharted – $2.65M (-47%) – 2,318 theatres
- Spider-Man: No Way Home – $625K (-56%) – 1,009 theatres
- Selena – $402K – 308 theatres
- Sing 2 – $220K (-75%) – 936 theatres