This weekend at the box office saw Disney’s newest animated adventure Encanto taking the number one spot yet again, with the critically acclaimed film taking home $12.73 million at the box office, although it does see the film take a -53% drop in revenue.
Coming into second place is Jason Reitman‘s Ghostbusters: Afterlife which earned $10.35 million this weekend at the box office. The film will officially cross the $100 million mark today, with current projections putting it at $102.19M through the end of day Sunday.
Ridley Scott‘s second film of the year, House of Gucci, held onto third place in its second weekend with an estimated $6.77M, bringing the MGM/UA title to $33.64M so far.
The weekend’s sole wide opener, Christmas with the Chosen: The Messengers, grossed an estimated $4M this weekend from 1,700 theaters for a fourth-place finish, marking the distributor’s highest-grossing and most-attended event ever. On the indie circuit, Licorice Pizza continued to rake it in via a few select theaters, while newcomers included Benedetta and Wolf.
Here’s the full list of the top ten films of the week:
- Encanto – $12.73M (-53%) – 3,980 theatres
- Ghostbusters: Afterlife – $10.35M (-57%) – 4,059 theatres
- House of Gucci – $6.77M (-53%) – 3,477 theatres
- Christmas with the Chosen: The Messengers – $4.1M – 1,700 theatres
- Eternals – $3.93M (-50%) – 3,230 theatres
- Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City – $2.65M (-50%) – 2,803 theatres
- Dune – $1.81M (-13%) – 1,217 theatres
- Clifford the Big Red Dog – $1.79M (-64%) – 3,261 theatres
- King Richard – $1.2M – (-63%) – 2,654 theatres
- Venom: Let There Be Carnage – $1M (-35%) – 1,234 theatres
Source: Box Office Pro