This weekend remains a bit of a stopping point when it comes to new releases, with the exception of Stephen Chbosky‘s new feature film adaptation of the hit Broadway production Dear Evan Hansen, starring Ben Platt in the title role.
At the box office this weekend, the film managed to pull in $7.5 million, coming in second place, marking it a disappointment in terms of revenue so far. Reviews like this one here from our own Joey Magidson didn’t help. Meanwhile, Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings starring Simu Liu takes the top spot once again, with a weekend total of $13.28 million.
Other movies that are still doing remarkably well despite being released more than a month ago include Free Guy, which comes in third place with a weekend total of $4.12 million and Candyman, coming in at fourth place, earning a weekend total of $2.51 million.
Here’s the full list of the top ten films of the week:
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings – $13.28M (-38%) – 3,952 theatres
- Dear Evan Hansen – $7.5M – 3,364 theatres
- Free Guy – $4.12M (-18%) – 3,175 theatres
- Candyman – $2.51M (-28%) – 2,556 theatres
- Cry Macho – $2.11M (-52%) – 4,002 theatres
- Jungle Cruise – $1.72M (-17%) – 2,065 theatres
- Malignant – $1.5M (-44%) – 2,534 theatres
- Copshop – $1.26M (-45%) – 3,005 theatres
- Paw Patrol: The Movie – $1.12M (-35%) – 1,995 theatres
- The Eyes of Tammy Faye – $621K (-4%) – 1,352 theatres
Source: Box Office Pro