It’s November, and that means the Winter movie season is about to be unleashed upon us, and it just so happens that one of the new release movies this weekend is a new installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Eternals, directed by Chloe Zhao.
The space epic was originally expected to make a staggering $100 million at the opening weekend box office, it managed to pull in $71 million which is still incredibly impressive, and proves that many audiences are eager to see a completely different tale in an otherwise familiar universe.
In second place is Denis Villeneuve‘s Dune, which earned a weekend total of $7.26 million, despite the fact that it is now several weeks old. It’s no wonder why Villeneuve got his sequel.
Coming in third is No Time to Die, which serves as the final time audiences will be able to see decade-spanning actor Daniel Craig portray super spy James Bond. The film has been in theaters for well over a month now, and has pulled in $6.18 million at the box office this weekend. Cracking the top ten with under 1,000 theaters was Spencer, flying high on Oscar buzz for Kristen Stewart.
Here’s the full list of the top ten films of the week:
- Eternals – $71M – 4,090 theatres
- Dune – $7.26M (-51%) – 3,546 theatres
- No Time to Die – $6.18M (-20%) – 3,007 theatres
- Venom: Let There Be Carnage – $4.46M (-22%) – 2,640 theatres
- Ron’s Gone Wrong – $3.6M (-4%) – 2,650 theatres
- The French Dispatch – $2.6M – 1,205 theatres
- Halloween Kills – $2.35M (-73%) – 3,098 theatres
- Spencer – $2.14M – 996 theatres
- Antlers – $2M – (-53%) – 2,800 theatres
- Last Night in Soho – $1.8M (-57%) – 3,016 theatres
Source: Box Office Pro