Paramount’s adventure comedy The Lost City debuted on top this weekend with an estimated $31 million, exceeding the openings of several other similar comedies from the past few years, including several pre-pandemic titles from 2017-19. It placed first this weekend and screened across 4,253 locations.
In second place, Warner Bros.’ The Batman fell -44% to $20.5M in its fourth frame, after leading for the prior three weekends. After the film had earned the majority of its earnings from domestic throughout its entire run, the balance finally tipped towards a majority-overseas earnings this weekend, at $340.9M of its $672.9M global total (50.6%).
Sarigama Cinemas’ RRR – Rise Roar Revolt, a 3h 7m Telugu-language action film about Indian revolutionaries in the 1920s, claimed third place with a $9.5M start.
Playing in only 1,200 theaters, or less than one-third the reach of the top films in the marketplace, the film started -9% behind the $10.4M opening of fellow Telugu-language title Baahubali 2: The Conclusion.
Here’s the full list of the top ten films of the week:
- The Lost City – $31M – 4,253 theatres
- The Batman – $20.5M (-44%) – 3,967 theatres
- RRR: Rise, Roar, Revolt – $9.5M – 1,200 theatres
- Uncharted – $5M (-36%) – 3,416 theatres
- Jujutsu Kaisen 0: The Movie – $4.57M (-75%) – 2,418 theatres
- X – $2.29M (-48%) – 2,920 theatres
- Dog – $2.10M (-47%) – 2,839 theatres
- Spider-Man: No Way Home – $2M (-36%) – 2,003 theatres
- Sing 2 – $1.28M (-12%) – 2,626 theatres
- Infinite Storm – $751K – 1,525 theatres
Source: Box Office Pro