When Marvel Studios released Black Widow earlier this year, starring Scarlett Johansson and Florence Pugh, the film had a significant drop in box office revenue over the course of its run, which was surprising considering it’s an MCU movie.
But where Black Widow failed to dazzle at the box office, Destin Daniel Cretton‘s Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings impressed greatly, bringing in a whopping weekend total of $71.4 million. This feat is even more surprising when you consider the current Delta variant of COVID-19 spreading throughout the world. If Shang-Chi continues to impress at the box office, it may mean that other major upcoming releases won’t shift dates after all.
Coming in at second place is Nia DaCosta‘s brand new Candyman film which brought in a total of $10.55 million over the course of the weekend. While it’s certainly not Shang-Chi numbers, it’s still not too shabby for a relatively smaller horror.
Meanwhile, Shawn Levy‘s Free Guy starring Ryan Reynolds and Jodie Comer came into third place at the box office this weekend, raking in $8.71 million. Other spots include Jungle Cruise at $3.95 million and Paw Patrol at $3.69 million.
Here’s the full list of the top ten films of the week:
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings – $71.4M – 4,300 theatres
- Candyman – $10.55M (-52%) – 3,569 theatres
- Free Guy – $8.71M (-34%) – 3,885 theatres
- Jungle Cruise – $3.95M (-21%) – 3,005 theatres
- Paw Patrol – $3.69M (-44%) – 3,004 theatres
- Don’t Breathe 2 – $2.21M (-23%) – 2,176 theatres
- The Suicide Squad – $905K (-55%) – 1,561 theatres
- Black Widow – $748K (-5%) – 750 theatres
- The Night House – $552K (-54%) – 1,020 theatres
- The Protégé – $525K (-68%) – 1,451 theatres
Source: Box Office Pro