Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, directed by Destin Daniel Cretton and starring Simu Liu and Awkwafina, is coming in at the top of the box office yet again this weekend. The brand new superhero adventure earned a weekend total of $21.7 million which means that it has now brought in a total of $300 million. Especially during the pandemic we live in, this is incredibly impressive.
And despite releasing well over a month ago, Shawn Levy‘s Ryan Reynolds and Jodie Comer-led Free Guy is still earning money at the box office, coming in at number two this weekend bringing in $5.2 million. Nearly at $300 million in total, it’s no wonder why Disney is already planning a sequel.
Clint Eastwood‘s newest directorial effort Cry Macho – which he also stars in – comes in third place, earning $4.15 million this weekend, while Nia DaCosta‘s Candyman comes in fourth place with $3.5 million. Other top spots include James Wan‘s Malignant in fifth, earning $2.68 million, and Joe Carnahan‘s Frank Grillo starring Copshop in sixth, earning $2.31 million. Starting in ninth was Michael Showalter‘s Oscar hopeful and Jessica Chastain vehicle The Eyes of Tammy Faye, with only $675K. Opening outside the top ten was Justin Chon‘s Blue Bayou, taking in just $315K.
Here’s the full list of the top ten films of the week:
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings – $21.7M (-37%) – 4,070 theatres
- Free Guy – $5.2M (-7%) – 3,288 theatres
- Cry Macho – $4.51M – 3,967 theatres
- Candyman – $3.5M (-26%) – 2,820 theatres
- Malignant – $2.68M (-51%) – 3,501 theatres
- Copshop – $2.31M – 3,005 theatres
- Jungle Cruise – $2M (-10%) – 2,265 theatres
- Paw Patrol: The Movie – $1.75M (-24%) – 2,820 theatres
- The Eyes of Tammy Faye – $675K – 450 theatres
- Don’t Breathe 2 – $665K (-43%) – 1,003 theatres
Source: Box Office Pro