The summer movie season is officially upon us! After A Quiet Place Part II shattered pandemic box-office records last week, it’s now time for The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It to take its place as the number one movie of the week, grossing over $24 million domestically.
It obviously isn’t as impressive as A Quiet Place Part II’s $58.5 million of last week, but we’re slowly seeing the signs of box-office recovery as more people get vaccinated and make their safe return to the big screen. There was a 59% drop for John Krasinski’s film this week, now taking the second place with a $19.5 million total. Again, this isn’t bad, because we’re still living in a global pandemic and many world countries still has theatres shuttered. Canada, for example, only has cinemas open in Quebec (with Alberta coming soon), whereas Ontario’s will remain closed until September at the earliest.
Cruella is still doing admirably well in theatres, but the film’s Disney+ success have prompted the studio to greenlight a sequel. Whichever way you saw the film in, this is still excellent news for movies in the long run, as studios are starting to become confident that a full return to normalcy will soon happen. Paramount has also dated A Quiet Place Part III for 2023.
Speaking of sequels (this one is more of a reboot?), Spirit Untamed premiered this week and…did not do well. The film grossed a measly $6.2 million and played in 3,211 theatres! No one would’ve batted an eye if the film premiered on Universal’s streaming service, Peacock, or Netflix, since this is a continuation (or adaptation) of Spirit Riding Free, a Netflix Original series. Studios will have to weigh which films should be experienced in theatres and be prepared to send their mid-level films to streaming services. Paramount will be experimenting with their Paw Patrol feature film, releasing both simultaneously in theatres and on Paramount+; a smart move considering the fact the film wouldn’t have likely done well domestically in a pre-pandemic world. Here’s the full top 10:
- The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It: $24.10 million—3,102 theatres
- A Quiet Place Part II: $19.5 million (-59%)—3,744 theatres
- Cruella: $11.24 million (-47,7%)—3,922 theatres
- Spirit Untamed: $6.2 million—3,211 theatres
- Raya and the Last Dragon: $1.31 million (-44,2%)—1,504 theatres
- Wrath of Man: $1.28 million (-41.4%)—2,607 theatres
- Spiral: $890.000 (-59,8%)—1,983 theatres
- Godzilla vs. Kong: $463.000 (-47,8%)—1,390 theatres
- Demon Slayer: Mugen Train: $457,500 (-45.3%)—1,145 theatres
- Dream Horse: $230,053 (-64.1%)—84 theatres
Source: Box Office Mojo