Summer movie season is currently in full swing. With a handful of new releases hitting theaters and also streaming platforms this past week, as well as some others that are still playing in theaters from weeks and months prior, there is a ton of options for moviegoers right now.
But which film reigned supreme at the box office this past week? Well, that would unsurprisingly be Disney’s Jungle Cruise which managed to bring in a total of $34.18 million this weekend which is quite impressive under the circumstances especially.
Taking the second spot is quite the surprise – David Lowery‘s The Green Knight, which brought in a total of $6.78 million, beating out M. Night Shyamalan‘s Old, which raked in $6.76M, making it an extremely close call to be sure. The Green Knight is essentially the opposite of a mainstream movie, which makes it surprising that audiences flocked to go see it.
Here’s the full list of the top ten films of the week:
- Jungle Cruise – $34.18M – 4,310 theatres
- The Green Knight – $6.78M – 2,790 theatres
- Old – $6.76M (-60%) – 3,379 theatres
- Black Widow – $6.42M (-45%) – 3,360 theatres
- Stillwater – $5.12M – 2,531 theatres
- Space Jam: A New Legacy – $4.26M (-55%) – 3,501 theatres
- Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins – $4M (-70%) – 3,540 theatres
- F9 – $2.65M (-45%) – 2,348 theatres
- Escape Room: Tournament of Champions – $2.2M (-37%) – 2,086 theatres
- The Boss Baby: Family Business – $1.3M (-55%) – 1,865 theatres
Source: Box Office Pro