The summer movie season approaches its end right around the corner, but even still, people are still turning up to their local movie theaters to watch the latest offerings. Last week, Shawn Levy‘s Free Guy, starring Ryan Reynolds and Jodie Comer, managed to take the top spot at the box office raking in $28.4 million.
This week, Free Guy is yet again taking the box office crown, this time earning $18.79 million which is still heavily impressive during the COVID-19 era of cinema these days. Taking the second spot is Paw Patrol, raking in a weekend total of $13 million, more than likely due to many families going out to see the latest animated flick with their kids.
Swinging it at third is the Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt-led Jungle Cruise, which may come as a surprise to some. During the weekend, it brought in a total of $6.23 million. Other top spots include Rodo Sayagues‘ Don’t Breathe 2 at $5 million and Liesl Tommy‘s Aretha Franklin biopic Respect at $3.81 million. Debuting at number eight with $2.86 million is David Bruckner‘s The Night House, which has to be a disappointment.
Here’s the full list of the top ten films of the week:
- Free Guy – $18.79M (-33%) – 4,165 theatres
- Paw Patrol – $13M – 3,184 theatres
- Jungle Cruise – $6.23M (-31%) – 3,575 theatres
- Don’t Breathe 2 – $5M (-52%) – 3,005 theatres
- Respect – $3.81M (-56%) – 3,207 theatres
- The Suicide Squad – $3.41M (-54%) – 2,926 theatres
- The Protege – $2.93M – 2,577 theatres
- The Night House – $2.86M – 2,240 theatres
- Reminiscence – $2M – 3,265 theatres
- Black Widow – $1.1M (-39%) – 1,340 theatres
Source: Box Office Pro