Ryan Reynolds is back in another blockbuster movie and you know what that means – instant cash. It also helps the fact that his new film, Free Guy, directed by Shawn Levy, is actually quite a lot of fun, and audiences seem to be agreeing on that as well, as the film has raked in $28.4 million at the box office this weekend.
Following behind at $10.8 million at the box office this weekend is Rodo Sayagues‘ Don’t Breathe 2, which once again follows Stephen Lang‘s scary blind-man character Norman Nordstrom in another action-packed suspense film.
These numbers are, however, significantly down from what the first film managed to pull in in its totality. Fede Alvarez‘s original film from 2016 brought in $157.8 million at the box office during its run and while it is still early, it doesn’t look like Don’t Breathe 2 will pull in anywhere close to those numbers. Whether it’s because of the pandemic or audiences not wanting a sequel is anybody’s guess. Opening at number four with a decent $8.8 million was the Aretha Franklin biopic Respect.
Here’s the full list of the top ten films of the week:
- Free Guy – $28.4M – 4,165 theatres
- Don’t Breathe 2 – $10.6M – 3,005 theatres
- Jungle Cruise – $9M (-43%) – 3,900 theatres
- Respect – $8.8M – 3,207 theatres
- The Suicide Squad – $7.5M (-71%) – 4,019 theatres
- Old – $2.4M (-42%) – 2,641 theatres
- Black Widow – $2M (-49%) – 2,060 theatres
- Stillwater – $1.3M (-54%) – 2,179 theatres
- The Green Knight – $1.1M (-55%) – 1,784 theatres
- Space Jam: A New Legacy – $1.1M (-54%) – 2,869 theatres
Source: Box Office Pro