Fans of the DC Extended Universe (DCEU) have truly had quite the wild ride over the course of the past few months. In December, we got Patty Jenkins‘ Wonder Woman 1984 and then in March of this year, we got the Snyder Cut of Justice League, which brought director Zack Snyder‘s original version of the film to life.
And now, this past weekend, fans were treated once more with James Gunn‘s The Suicide Squad, which reigned supreme at the box office raking in a total of $26.5 million across 4,002 theaters. It proves that even though the pandemic is still very much so alive, comic book fans are always passionate. It didn’t hurt that there have been raves, including this one here from our own Joey Magidson.
Second up is Jaume Collet-Serra‘s Jungle Cruise, which brought in a total of $15.69 million this weekend, holding steady even after its initial release being last weekend. Its runner-up is the brand new film Old from divisive filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan, raking in $4.14 million over the course of the weekend. Remaining in the top five are the movie adventure Black Widow and the would-be awards drama Stillwater, with The Green Knight falling just outside, at number six.
Here’s the full list of the top ten films of the week:
- The Suicide Squad – $26.5M – 4,002 theatres
- Jungle Cruise – $15.69M (-55%) – 4,310 theatres
- Old – $4.14M (-40%) – 3,138 theatres
- Black Widow – $4M (-38%) – 3,100 theatres
- Stillwater – $2.86M (-45%) – 2,611 theatres
- The Green Knight – $2.59M (-62%) – 2,798 theatres
- Space Jam: A New Legacy – $2.47M (-42%) – 2,869 theatres
- Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins – $1.62M (-60%) – 2,080 theatres
- Escape Room: Tournament of Champions – $1.25M (-44%) – 1,303 theatres
- F9 – $1.23M (-54%) – 1,715 theatres
Source: Box Office Pro